What Is Drostanolone Propionate Used For?
Drostanolone propionate is an androgenic/anabolic steroid developed by Syntex Pharmaceuticals in 1959, but started being manufactured and marketed only in 1970. The most known commercial name of drostanolone propionate – Masteron – rapidly grew in popularity as a treatment for breast cancer given that it showed promising results when treating breast cancers that already were in an advanced stage.
It also became appreciated in the bodybuilding circles during the early 90s, particularly among those athletes who were looking for the most perfect physique before a bodybuilding contest.
With regards to its chemical structure, drostanolone propionate is a derivative of the DHT (dihydrotestosterone) class of steroids, where a methyl group is added to the second carbon position. This alteration allows drostanolone propionate to survive the metabolic action caused by a certain type of digestive enzyme, thus providing the body enhanced anabolic effects.
Compared to other AAS, drostanolone propionate has a rather mild anabolic/androgenic rating of 62:25; this is rated against testosterone, whose rating is 100:100. Though consequently not being quite regarded as a formidable mass building steroid, it is however still very popular among bodybuilders, so we will now examine in depth its benefits, doses, side effects and the optimal method of cycling.
The Beneficial Effects Of Drostanolone Propionate
One of the most interesting aspects of this steroid is that it can very well lower the quantity of estrogens in your body. This makes it a very popular choice among many athletes, almost as much as other AAS like Anadrol, Deca, Dianabol and testosterone, which however all aromatize and increase estrogen levels in the organism.
Here are some of the important beneficial effects of drostanolone propionate / masteron:
– Increase of physical strength: Masteron will not give you the almost vicious strength gains that steroids such as Anadrol, Dianabol and Deca-Durabolin will, but users will experience a noticeable increase in strength, especially when the relevant dosages are on the higher side of the scale.
– Preparation for contests: Drostanolone propionate is used by many bodybuilders when they are getting ready for their competitions. Masteron has very good anti-catabolic properties, which allow the user to retain physical strength while shedding as much body fat as possible before a contest. Many athletes just love this compound for its ‘hardening’ effect on their muscle mass, which also enhances veins’ visibility. What’s more is that drostanolone propionate will get rid of any excess water and make you look really the best you can.
- Increase of lean muscle mass: If you are looking to increase significantly your lean muscle mass, this steroid will perhaps not be the best choice available, but don’t think that it does mean drostanolone propionate has no whatsoever anabolic properties. Instead, you will benefit from a relatively moderate increase in you lean muscle mass, especially if your dosage is of a rather consistently high level. It will certainly allow you to keep the quality lean muscle mass you have built up, and such maintenance will last even for a long period of time after the end of its supplementation.
- Enhancement of athletic performance: Some athletes need to maintain a certain body weight often use it to increase their body strength and to get rid of excess body fat. The reason for this is that drostanolone propionate does not favor – as said before – water retention in the tissues.
- Lowering of SHBG: Masteron can slow down the activity of SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin) and make more of your endogenous (that is, your natural body’s) supply become available throughout all your organism in order to build bigger muscle mass and to burn more of your body fat. This is why some athletes like to stack it with testosterone in order to lower the % the SHBG in their body and thus get more from their cycles.
- Inhibition of aromatase: As previously discussed, a rather unique aspect of the steroid drostanolone propionate is this item’s peculiar ability to inhibit the flow of estrogen in your body. Given that this compound does not aromatize, you will never have to worry about an excess of estrogen nor about negative side effects arising at some point while you are supplementing it. These may include effects such as gynecomastia (growth of breast tissue in male individuals), water retention in the tissues and elevated levels of body fat. Indeed, these will be a true rarity with this steroid. What’s more is that you can very well stack this product with other (aromatase-enhancing) anabolic steroids such as Deca Durabolin and Testosterone, in order to lower their respective potential estrogenic side effects.
It has however to be underlined that the drostanolone propionate is not intended to be a regular substitute of specific AI (aromatase inhibitors) products available on the market nowadays, such as Arimidex and Aromasin, for example.
The Side Effects of Drostanolone Propionate (Masteron)
One great thing about drostanolone propionate is that it does not have the same (on average) collateral negative effects that the majority of the other AAS carry on when implemented. We have already said that you will not have to worry too much (if at all) about side effects such as gynecomastia or water retention if you will choose to supplement this item. Additionally, you will not have either to worry about other side effects that will negatively impact your health conditions, such as damage or stress to your liver. However, there are indeed some negative effects that can come with the supplementation of Masteron, which you have to be well aware of in order to spend your time with this product safely.
Common side effects include the following, although this is by no means a fully comprehensive list:
- Acne and hair loss: As with many DHT-derived steroids, drostanolone propionate may cause effects such as acne, excessive growth of body hair and loss of hair on your scalp. The afore-mentioned side effects are mainly due when the user has already a genetic predisposition to these in the first place. So, if you have such problems already before using this item or in fact any other type of steroids, please be just keep in mind what we just said and be careful when implementing these products. A medical check of your general health state, including the above stated control, will be in most cases more than enough. It is possible to counteract the mentioned issues by administering an alpha-5-reductase inhibitor such as Finasteride, for example. As you may know, the said inhibitor breaks down testosterone in DHT (dihydrotestosterone); but because Masteron is already a DHT, the said enzyme here simply does not come into play.
- Increase of aggressiveness: This is a side effect which you should be aware of because the increased level of aggressiveness can be quite noticeable. Some athletes, like powerlifters and MMA fighters, do actually experiment with these sudden surges of aggressiveness, and while this may be of some advantage to some extent for a specific sport’s outcome, an excessively high level of such aggressiveness could prove detrimental. Therefore, please be aware of it and take the proper steps in order to be sure that your level of aggressiveness will not exceed such limits.
- Lowering of natural (endogenous) testosterone: Drostanolone propionate will definitely determine a lower level in the production of the natural testosterone in your body after cycling it. When your dosages are fairly low, such an effect could perhaps not be noticeable and your libido remain at somewhat sufficient levels. But should you instead administer higher dosages, such as the dosages that several bodybuilders and athletes like often to implement, please be aware that the suppression of your testosterone levels may become a real issue. And this problem may even worsen when one would try and stack masteron with other AAS, just as bodybuilders commonly like to do. However, after implementing drostanolone propionate, it is just wise and safe to implement also the appropriate PCT (that is, the post cycle therapy) in order to control said issues and thus be able to keep all of your hard earned muscle.
- Lack of preventive low cholesterol and regular blood pressure conditions: Yes, correct. You should check that you have normal levels of cholesterol and normal blood pressure before implementing this product, simply because this product can have a negative impact on the aforesaid levels. This is especially the case when it comes to the HDL (High Density Lipoproteins, the so-called ‘good’ cholesterol), which may well fall to very low levels when implementing drostanolone propionate. On the other hand, the LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins, that is the ‘bad’ cholesterol) may well go too high. A general rule of the thumb, which represents however only an approximate value, is that whoever would like to implement this product should, among other favorable physical conditions, have no more than about a 10-12% total body fat level.
Usage Of Drostanolone Propionate (Masteron) By Women
Given that drostanolone propionate has rather significant androgenic effects, its usage is generally not recommended to female users, given that this product does indeed favor the masculinization process in women (that is, the appearance of male sexual features). This does mean that Masteron is off limits for female users, but we only want to underline that only when implemented in the area of roughly anything between 50 mg and 100 mg per week, then it’s safe to say that all female users (in good physical conditions, of course) will probably not encounter the need to counteract any negative side effects from the implementation of this item.
Cycles Of Drostanolone Propionate (Masteron)
The vast majority of bodybuilders do not cycle Masteron often, because this item, as explained before, does not have a strong effect on the build-up of huge mass gain. On the contrary, many of them merely like to add drostanolone propionate only at the very end of a cycle with steroids as if it were a finishing-like product, good just for getting their best definition possible. But in fact this does in no way mean that Masteron cannot be cycled by many also in order to acquire a decent level of relatively good and quite noticeable lean muscle mass.
And there’s also another aspect which we should not forget when talking about the beneficial effects of drostanolone propionate. There are two principal esters of drostanolone — the propionate ester and the enanthate ester; now, drostanolone propionate is actually the shortest ester between the two, and does a great job because of this feature by making you lose body fat and by making your muscles look significantly harder. So, the propionate version, when adequately cycled (as we will see in the next chapter) does have a rather significant role in this area of application.
How To Implement Masteron/Drostanolone Propionate
If you are new at using any type of AAS, a safe dosage of drostanolone propionate would be of about 400 mg per week, although several athletes find that a supplementation of about 600 mg per week is the optimal level. With regards to your own dosage, it will of course depend on the type of Masteron you will choose to implement (propionate or enanthate).
Being that we are discussing the propionate ester, it has to be said that drostanolone propionate shall be administered every other day (while the enanthate ester would be implemented 1 or 2 times per week). However, it all boils down also to personal choice and preferences, so please remember that the propionate ester can be administered more often than its enanthate counterpart.