In this article we will show how to select, and combine several foods and condiments in order to lose weight. By eating intelligently, it’s possible to lose weight while keeping your energy at very high levels consistently.
In fact, combining several quality foods is important in order to reach the ideal weight through mainly losing body fat, something which is a real possibility and a scientifically proven fact. Many are the natural foods and condiments that are tasty also provide your organism with low fat nutrients, making you lose weight quickly and efficiently.
For example, some healthy foods and condiments (which we’ll examine in depth later in this article) are almonds, cinnamon, pears, mushrooms and salmon. This is merely a very small list of foods and condiments which can be used and/or associated as you may wish in some of your home recipes. They will provide good quantities of proteins, minerals, vitamins and fats while also having a relatively low calorie count.
The following is a list of some of the best 20 foods and condiments to be used individually or combined as you may like in your dieting purposes, especially when you are seeking to lose weight.
- Almonds: This dry fruit has a high content of proteins, vitamins, magnesium, iron, potassium and unsaturated fats. Almonds are very digestible and help to keep your sugar levels constant in the blood, They are also very helpful in controlling appetite. They can be a great solution for your snacks. Aim to consume just 20-30 grams of them inbetween your main meals.
- Apples: One not so known but very effective trick in order to absorb less calories than those actually ingested is to eat an apple before, say, a pasta dish. 100 grams of apples in fact contain 4 to 5 grams on average of fiber, which quickly helps you feel less hungry and to absorb less calories from the subsequent dish (or servings) you will consume. Apples also contain a good amount of antioxidants (antioxidants help prevent or stop cell damage caused by oxidants), which among other effects are also responsible for the skin’s aging. And do no forget: if you can, do eat the skin: plenty of fibers and nutrients are right in there!
- Beans: Some scientific studies have shown that beans, in all their varieties, are excellent ‘fat burners’, thanks especially to the high presence of non-soluble fibers and proteins, and to a certain type of very resistant starch-like carbs.
- Broccoli: This is one marvelous food, especially when it comes to aiming to lose weight and getting rid of excess liquids in the tissues. It’s very rich in vitamin C, reduces the risk of stomach tumors and, like the vast majority of vegetables, provides you with a lot of fiber, with very few calories. It can be used in a multitude of dishes, i.e. grilled or as a side dish with meat or fish.
- Cinnamon: Perhaps we will surprise you now by citing this condiment here, but please take note that half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day can help to keep your sugar levels stable, lowering the production of insulin, which normally is higher right after a meal. It is widely used in pastry, but can also be used to give more flavor to foods – as a replacement also for oils, margarine, butter and other savory sauces that all have a much higher content in terms of fat and calories.
- Coffee: Yes, coffee now comes as perhaps a second surprise – well, did you know that coffee can actually help you lose weight? Drinking coffee may burn on average from 30 to 50 calories per day. Those who drink 3 cups of coffee a day have shown a 30% lower chance of developing type 2 diabetes. In fact, the chlorogenic acid contained in caffeine may help prevent insulin resistance, which in turn may cause the onset of diabetes and obesity. And in general, it also has been shown to lower hunger for food.
- Ricotta Cheese: A normal portion (80 grams) of cow ricotta cheese provides on average 14 to 16 grams of protein in just about 80 calories. Scientific research has shown that ricotta’s protein keeps metabolic activities constantly at a high level. Taste and effectiveness in controlling the amount of calories will both be well pursued by consuming cow ricotta cheese (sheep ricotta cheese is more difficult to find and however has a rather higher content of fat and calories).
- Eggs: Eggs are rich in protein, help to control appetite and, actually, egg white is considered the purest protein food of all, higher even than fish and meat. We all know how many ways are readily available to cook eggs in a simple, fast and delicious manner, don’t we? Try poached eggs with spinach and there you have already a complete nutritional combination, which will allow you to stay healthy while you also lose weight.
- Garlic: Several American studies regarding people who undergo a diet have shown that those who used garlic as a condiment for their dishes lost weight more easily and effectively compared to those who did not use it. Garlic also has antibiotic properties.
- Lentils: These vegetables are rich in protein and soluble fiber, and keep your sugar levels steady in the bloodstream. The consumption of lentils also counteracts the effects of insulin, namely the accumulation of fat in the abdominal area. There are different types of lentils, but the most known ones are red lentils and yellow lentils. You can eat them on their own or add them to rice or pasta, or even make a great puree soup. A simple, nutritious and rich in protein dish? Boiled lentils, a little bit of salt and pure extra virgin olive oil, accompanied by whole wheat bread. Just simple, delicious and great meal – and you do lose weight!
- Olive oil: Yes, we just mentioned it above, and please abhor those people who say that you should never use olive oil in a low calorie diet – it’s wrong and it’s a sin!!! Olive oil is a miraculous condiment, with great and several benefits, an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and by the way delicious substance. Just make sure that you purchase and consume extra virgin olive oil – refined variants just lose most of the benefits, and you do not lose weight with these low quality ones.
- Parmesan Cheese: Among its ingredients, we would like to mention its great content of linoleic acid, which can help burn body fat, thus making you lose weight while staying healthy. It is a hard granular cheese which is characterized by a long and natural maturation. A highly concentrated cheese, indeed, which contains only 30% water and 70% nutrients, meaning that it is very rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Pears: One pear provides on average 5 to 6 grams of fiber, which suppresses appetite. A Brazilian medical research has shown that women on a weight loss diet who ate pears lost more body weight than women consuming oatmeal biscuits, though both had ingested exactly the same amount of calories.
- Mushrooms: Did you know that mushrooms have a very low amount of calories and may well be used instead of meat or partially replace meat in order to cut down your total calorie consumption? 100 grams of mushrooms contain on average less than 20 calories and very low fat. If you still want to eat meat, try a dish with finely chopped mushrooms mixed with beef and there you have a great dish – grilled, perhaps – with much less calories and fat. Great to lose weight, of course.
- Quinoa: Quinoa helps reduce appetite and contains many fibers and proteins. It can be used as an alternative to rice, great as a snack when added to raisins and chopped walnuts, making you lose weight naturally.
- Red Sweet Peppers: Red sweet peppers are very rich in vitamin C and mineral salts. They have been shown also to strengthen the immune system and to hence prevent some cellular damage. Cut them finely, put them fresh in sandwiches or grilled with lettuce and tomatoes in a salad with also a little of extra virgin olive oil – again, a very simple, fast and nutritious way of eating while keeping the calories’ count at bay, and losing weight. Half a red sweet pepper provides on average about 75mg of vitamin C, which by the way is already the daily recommended dose for an average adult.
- Tomatoes: This is not a surprising food when it comes to reduction of body weight; what happens chemically when you eat tomatoes is that the body releases a hormone called cholecystokinin, which actually closes the valve between the stomach and the intestine. Consequently, cholecystokinin promotes satiety and you will feel that you want to eat less. Tomatoes also contain oligofructose, a fiber which helps in sustaining the effects of the cholecystokinin hormone in the stomach. Moreover, another component of tomatoes, called lycopene, has antioxidant properties, which can protect your body from the damage induced by pesticides. It’s also a nutrient which can prevent cancer and is responsible for the red color of tomatoes. 100 grams of fresh tomatoes, 3 spoons of extra virgin olive oil, a couple of fresh basil leaves – that’s less than 30 calories, and will it help you lose weight!
- Vinegar: Well, not surprisingly at all, vinegar is a simple solution for adding flavor to many of your dishes and also to keep your body fat under control. Put it in salads and its great on strawberries! It induces satiety and contributes to the maintenance of an adequate level of insulin in the blood, thus helping you lose weight. Make sure that it’s of a good quality – you can choose between wine or apple vinegar varieties, which are the most commonly used.
- Salmon: Salmon is hugely rich in essential fatty acids Omega 3 – the Omega 3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) are essential for a healthy and balanced diet and have been shown in medical research to exert a positive effect on blood count levels, cognitive health, immune system and dieting – so, yes, you will lose weight when eating salmon!. Salmon’s consumption also favors the formation of lean muscular mass and at the same reduces fat deposits. And the more muscle mass you have and gain, the more calories your body will burn. Farmed salmon has less quantities of fatty acids Omega 3 because of what farmed salmons are fed, but they still have good quantities of both DHA and EPA fatty acids – and farmed salmons have the advantage of containing less mercury, (if any).
- Yoghurt: Last of the list, but definitely not the least important, given that yoghurt is the ideal food in almost any diet aiming to reduce your body weight. Yoghurt is an ideal food in order to lose weight basically because it boasts a balanced amount of carbs, proteins and fats which all can help in maintaining a constant level of sugar in the blood and in avoiding hunger pangs. An American medical research has found that the consumption of yoghurt allows the body to lose more fat in the abdominal area.
In conclusion, and without any intention to give conclusive or definite answers to all those people who are seriously trying to lose weight, we would like to say however that the idea that one can lose weight and get slimmer ONLY by undergoing heavy and monotonous diets is just totally without any scientific foundation. Our body is like a machine: like any machine, it does need energy in order to function properly. A famous ancient Latin says ‘Mens sana in corpore sano’ (that is, a healthy mind in a healthy body) and only shows by old sage understanding that an active and even brilliant mind is the end result of a healthy body, and thus our wellbeing just depends on the HARMONY between mind and body.
Nature has provided us all with a series of precious foods, rich in nutritional principles and also full of great flavors – often never with excessive fats, provided we eat those foods sensibly – so why not consume those foods and carry out our diets in the same natural and easy ways? Why not eat HAPPILY and at the same time succeed in having an almost ‘invisible’ yet easy diet on a daily basis?
A healthy diet, especially if combined with a balanced physical activity program, is all that it really takes most of times for a normally healthy individual to be successful in losing weight and feeling just good without any exceptions. Remember however, as outlined before, that quantity of food is not enough: quality is just as important.
And finally, remember also that if your goal is not to lose weight, because you are already fit and both your body weight and composition are good, you surely do not then want to gain useless, excessive or even dangerous body weight nor change your body composition (percentages of muscle and fat, namely) – so eat sensibly and you’ll never have to lose weight which you have gained by eating in (many potential) wrong manners!
Does this make sense? We think it really does….
Happy sensible eating to all!